Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Reaching New Heights

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 1
The volunteers polled their house and the 13th looks like the best day for our Traditional Dance fundraiser. Jonas is comparing the fees of a couple local dance groups. Selam & Jasmine are focusing their efforts on reviewing the pre-school curriculum and resources. They will be teaching and helping in the pre-school classes which keep adding kids weekly and can use some helping hands.

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 2
I spent almost 4 hours walking around Moshi and Soweto this afternoon. I love walking everywhere. It forces me to slow down and appreciate my surroundings. Mussa and I met at his shop to discuss my Kili climb and set a date for the 18th. This will put me at the summit around the full moon which was what I was hoping for. I also met Joseph who will be a part of the climbing team.  I invited Mussa to lunch on Thursday so he can check my clothing and equipment for the climb.

I mentioned the Traditional Dance fundraiser and asked him if he knew anyone proficient in African Traditional dances. Jonas had contacted a few but their fees were over our budget. Joseph mentioned a man he knows and said they would contact him for me.

While in Soweto I visited Debra and then headed back to Moshi to finish several errands. One item I am trying to find is the Pre-School Syllabus. The Ministry of Education sets the school curriculum and this book was issued in 2005. The new president is discussing some welcome changes in the education system and will hopefully have a revised edition available within the next 2 years. Needless to say TAFCOM’s copy is very worn.

I had been to 3 stores with no luck. Each one referring me to the next. A customer at the 3rd store spoke up and said he knew another bookstore. I have had people help me in this manner before. Sometimes they are genuinely helpful; other times they have something to sell. We must have looked in 3-4 additional stores. I told him it was too late and I must return home. He then pulled out the bracelets he makes and sells, telling me what a good price he was giving me. Except for the fact that he was so persistently helpful I would have brushed him off. The bracelets were Tanzania colors so I bought one and decided to give it to Amina. Nie and I were planning to visit her home today so I could meet her mom.

I returned home around 5pm. Amina and Nie were waiting for me so we headed directly to Amina’s home. After Nie made introductions I shared that I would be helping with Amina’s school expenses. Rachel (Amina’s mom) was very touched and appreciative. Rachel and her 2 children live in one room attached to Nie’s mother’s home. We agreed that Amina would get off the school bus at TAFCOM on Monday so we could spend time together and then I would walk her to her aunt’s where she stays until her mom returns from work.

I was also looking forward to seeing Nie’s mother as I had not yet visited her this trip. Nie’s grandmother and niece are also staying with Nie’s mom. Grandma, age 87, is recovering from a leg amputation at the knee caused by poor circulation. The niece is caring for her.

Nie’s mom has one of the greatest smiles. Although her English is minimal; she is one of those people who speaks through her eyes and her smile – so heartwarming and expressive.

WEDNESDAY, FEBRUARY 3
The Tailoring teachers and students are ready sew products for the African Dance fundraiser. There have been product requests from other volunteers at Hostel Hof so there is much work to be done in the next 10 days.

Later in the afternoon, Mussa and Joseph arrived with Kida, the dance instructor, to discuss the fundraiser. Nie worked out all the details and Kida will perform several Traditional dances and then teach some basic African dance moves. We scheduled the event from 10-12 on Saturday the 13th. Kida currently teaches at an area golf course twice a week. We talked about how he gets the word out about his classes. Since he is giving us a very good price it was agreed that the volunteers and I would make copies of his class flyer and distribute them around Moshi. He seemed very pleased with this arrangement.

Joseph is quite the character. His English is very good. At one point in our conversation he said he would do something and then grabbed my little finger for a “Pinky Swear”. I had no idea people here knew about that! He shared a picture of his 13 year old daughter, Sophia. When I commented on how beautiful she was he informed me that he is planning to get a leopard from one of the parks. He explained that unlike a lion or dog who goes to sleep after eating his prey, the leopard stays alert and goes out for more. He felt this would be the best animal to keep the boys away!

THURSDAY, FEBRUARY 4
Nie brought over a wedding invitation and asked if I would like to go with her and Jonas. A Tanzanian wedding is an event I have always wanted to experience. We will be attending the reception on Saturday evening.

We finished working with the tailoring teachers and are excited to see how everything turns out.  Katherine & Maulida have been the tailoring teachers for as long as I can remember. I commented to Nie how much they have improved not only in their own skills but in the transferring of their knowledge to the students.

Elizabeth finished working on the TAFCOM Facebook page and scheduled several postings. (Please Like our page.) Selam and Jasmine have spent several days observing in the classroom and playing with the pre-schoolers. They will start teaching next week and have found many useful resources. Updating the Tailoring Items Price List and developing a Power Point of sample products has been my priority. There are also a few revisions being made to the Volunteer Orientation Manual. When I can, I pop into a classroom and have been able to help the teachers with a few lessons.

Mussa arrived for lunch and we talked about the climb. I was pleased and relieved that I have everything I need. Mussa is providing the sleeping bag, mat and large pack that the porter will carry. I will have a small backpack and was advised to make sure it does not way more than 10 pounds. I am very comfortable with this weight amount as I was expecting to carry closer to 20 pounds. I have no doubt that Mussa will take very good care of me.

I noticed that the top and bottom of my sandals were separating. Ellie and I walked to the fundi who repairs shoes. A fundi is the term used to describe anyone who does manual labor. When he looked at the shoes he showed me how they were also coming apart on the sides. We were advised to return in 2 hours. I was assuming they would be glued but to my surprise he very sturdily stitched the entire shoe. My bill was $.75. I can’t imagine what I would have paid at home. New shoes might have been cheaper.

Tonight was the Send Off for the couple getting married on Saturday.  This event includes the parading through the streets of an open ended truck with a band of various horn players playing music, followed by a car for the bride and groom that is decorated with large ribbons and flowers. The first stop is the home of the groom’s parents before trumpeting to a dinner in town. The groom’s parents live about 4 houses down the road so we were able to watch the parade and hear the music.

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 5
I joined the family on a ride to Karatu. Knowing we would be on the road that leads to Ngorongoro Crater and passing Lake Manyara was not something I would miss. The drive brought back memories of when Lee Ann and I went on safari in 2009. Jonas stopped at an overlook for a view of Lake Manyara.

Nie’s grandmother and niece were the reason for the trip as they were returning to Nie’s uncle’s house. He is a doctor and his wife a nurse.

For some time now I have wanted to translate some children’s books into Swahili. It saddens me that children are not read to like they are in the US. One of the donated books, The Little Engine That Could, has always been a favorite. It has such a positive, inspiring message.  I brought my Swahili guide plus the book, hoping to work on it during the drive which was several hours each way. I was able to translate a few pages before the scenery became too beautiful to continue.

On the return trip we stopped at Snake Park but it was already closed. Maybe the 3rd try will be the charm! We then ventured over to the Maasai market which is not for those who have large “space bubbles”. It consists of many narrow aisles with small shops all butting up next to each other. The vendors are assertive trying to sell their wares, mostly hand-made items. There is a specific vendor who makes beaded scarves that are selling very well by a group in Florida. We purchased a number of them for the African Dance fundraiser.

It was a long yet very enjoyable day.

 

2 comments:

  1. AWESOME! Look forward to hearing all about your KILI climb!
    God be with you Safe travels!
    JED

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continue to enjoy reading about your daily adventures. Hope your climb is rewarding and not too difficult. Will be interested in hearing long the climb took and how the camping at night went. Quite an adventure, wish I was along. CB

    ReplyDelete