Sunday, February 28, 2016

Let's Dance

FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 12
Is there a better way to start your morning than with the sound of children singing songs about how they love their school and their country? These songs are part of the morning routine for the Minn Acad students while they wait for their school van. If I am not awake already the children are my alarm clock. They seem to pride themselves on how loud they can be. No rain today so the children could play outside. In addition to a sanded playground area, the kids loved running in the gravel and it is so much safer for them.  
Everything has been readied for the Traditional Dance tomorrow. Mussa and Kida stopped by to check out the set up. A variety of items made by the tailoring women will be displayed for sale. The tent is up (in case of rain). Dennis and Sabato will pick up the volunteers. Let’s Dance!

SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 13
Approximately 15 volunteers from Hostel Hof arrived just before 10am. Introductions, thank you’s and a brief overview of TAFCOM kicked off the program while Kida and two dancers dressed for the first of 3 Traditional dances. A dress-change break in between dances gave volunteers time to purchase products and enjoy a soda. The weather was very cooperative and actually quite hot. The tent provided much needed shade for the dance lessons that followed. Overall, the feedback was unanimously positive and $100 was raised to go towards the Minn Acad kitchen fund.

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 14
I met up with Mussa at his shop in Soweto to make the final payment for my Kili climb and review last minute details. I was introduced to Moody, who will be my cook. Food likes and dislikes were discussed as well as meal planning. I am feeling as ready as I can be! Upon my return to Moshi I met up with Ellie to buy the food for our traditional African food lunch for the volunteers on Monday. I suggested we take  the bjaji home (a 3-wheeled vehicle also called tuk tuk) because we had a number of heavy bags. I had not ridden in a bjaji since 2009. Our driver must have thought he was in training for Nascar. Whenever the road gave even the lightest indication of being level he sped up. Going over the bumps and potholes we were tossed and turned like lettuce in a salad spinner. I always wonder why these don’t tip over. We arrived home in record time and with no major bruises!

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 15
The volunteers loved the variety of African dishes prepared by Ellie. My special visitors stopped by today. It seems I am now entertaining 4 children on Mondays. They are very polite and well-behaved, and giggle a lot. Joan joined us today for a short time of coloring. I explained I would be gone to climb Kili and we would visit again on the Monday after my return.

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 16
Since I did not run yesterday I took a slow, easy pace this morning. It felt especially good seeing all the people and knowing I would miss their smiles and greetings for a week. I talked to the guards as always and told them I was climbing. They wished me the best. Kili was out and the weather was gorgeous. I felt amazingly good.
Nie had received a phone call at 9pm last night about a new volunteer coming today. This lack of notification is a source of frustration for us as we have no planning time and must totally rearrange our day, but we are flexible and always work things out. Nele is from Germany and a very sweet young woman. She seems especially drawn to the children which will round out our volunteer team in the pre-school.
Mussa stopped by to check all my stuff. I feel so well taken care of by him and am hoping for a good night’s sleep.


No comments:

Post a Comment