Sunday, February 14, 2016

Micro Loans & Marshmallows

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 27
The creative bed cover game continues! Yesterday I made an elephant out of my sheet. Today, Ellie used flowers to shape the borders of Tanzania.

The 3 volunteers all stay at Hostel Hof, a volunteer placement organization and hostel. Elizabeth had shared info on the sanitary pad project with her group at dinner. A discussion a few days later birthed the idea of a fundraiser for TAFCOM featuring a demonstration and lessons in Traditional African dances. The hope is to schedule this within the next two weeks. Tailoring products would also be sold; so our morning was spent at one of the fabric shops in Moshi. Buying fabric for tailoring projects is like letting kids loose in a candy shop. The traditional African colors and patterns are so vibrant. It never fails that a westerner will comment about how dull our clothing is.  It felt like a “girl’s day out” displaying different fabrics and matching them with the products we want to have made.

Afterwards we all went in different directions and Nie and I ran some errands. We were to pick up Joan from her preschool at noon and had some extra time so we bought some treats from the bakery to share with our driver and the tailoring students. There is a small grocery across the road, Aleem’s, which caters to non-locals. It stocks a lot of Western foods you don’t ordinarily find here. I remembered a conversation with Nie on my previous trips about marshmallows which she was very curious about. Aleem’s had them so I purchased a bag and we will be roasting marshmallows soon.

This afternoon the sky turned dark, the winds picked up, and the rains came; a solid downpour for at least an hour resulted in the loss of electric power. By dinner I had used up most of my computer battery.

THURSDAY, JANUARY 28
Still no electric when I woke up. I went for my morning run which had a few more challenges because of the rain. Dodging motorcycles and bicycles is part of the routine but this morning the puddles added a new dimension. I think I have invented a new running style I might call Zig Zagging. My shoes quickly became caked with mud so I was also running with what felt like ankle weights.

I do love my morning runs. I never tire of the same route because Kili is often out and in my range of view on my return. I leave between 7 & 7:15 and the day is in full swing for most. I greet people brushing their teeth or washing dishes or cooking breakfast. Others are on their way to work or school. The young children often want to touch my skin or hair. A school van often passes with kids hanging out the windows yelling and waving at me. I have become a routine part of the morning for many families and I look forward to the exchange of greetings, waves and smiles. (I am reminded of the cheering fans at marathons that are so encouraging.)

This morning I was approaching a mother and child who was maybe 1 ½ years old. The child left her mother and ran to me wanting to be picked up. Melt my heart! No fear of strangers for this little one and mom was fully aware and so pleasant. What a great way to start my day.

Since the Micro Loan workshop was scheduled for the afternoon, the volunteers arrived around 12:30. Joseph was his usual animated and humorous self. He stopped regularly during the Business Management class to explain in English the business concept he was teaching. Joseph spent a lot of time explaining tactics to make one’s business stand out as well as strategies to attract and retain customers. It seems that there are so many vendors selling the same things. He also questioned each participant about their specific business plan.

One of the Micro Loan participants is a new client of TAFCOM and a sister of one of the staff. She recently moved to Pasua and is living with her sister. She is HIV+ and was feeling very isolated in her former community. The stigma surrounding those with HIV/AIDS is still prevalent in many areas. Nie had been counseling her and determined that a Micro Loan would be beneficial. By the end of the workshop she was talking and laughing with the other women (all HIV+). She commented to Nie how much better she felt and realized she could enjoy life and be accepted as part of a community. It is so rewarding to know that at least 10 women have a plan for a better future!

With no electric and no computer I had time on my hands. There are a number of upper elementary/middle school level books that we have catalogued. Since they are too old for the TAFCOM students I am sharing them with Ellie and Jovin as they both enjoy reading.  I decided to read them too so we can have some discussions. Pasua’s first Book Club is in its beginning stages!

Jovin and I have been looking thru his textbooks. His interest in computers led us to his ICT book (Info, Communication & Technology). He would like me to teach him more about using the computer. His textbook primarily covers the ins and outs of Microsoft Word. It was definitely my level of expertise so Jovin will be at the top of his class in no time!

The electric returned around 8pm. You could hear the hoots and hollers of the neighbors! It was close to 30 hours without power. I cannot take anything for granted here.

FRIDAY, JANUARY 29
The volunteers have chosen Friday as their day to work from home or go to an internet café in Moshi. It also gives me a chance to catch up on projects, research grants, organize ideas. I did not run or work out today. I thoroughly enjoyed and appreciated a lazy day of feeling no pressure whatsoever.

Ellie and I took a long walk along Relini (railroad) and stopped at a curio shop. The owner is also the artist of most of the items. I have visited him before and admire his craftsmanship.

Joan has been coming to visit me more often lately. She still doesn’t talk to me but I have a matching game from the Resource Shelf that she enjoys. It is amusing because I hold up a picture card and she says what it is in Swahili and I say the English translation. I am now learning Swahili from a 2 ½ year old!

SATURDAY, JANUARY 30
I went on a long run/walk this morning. I love the solitude of being with nature and find it very purifying. The afternoon was spent with Joan and Jovin. Joan and I continue with the matching game. Jovin spent time on the computer and we completed more than half of his Technology textbook. His computer knowledge is better than he gives himself credit plus he is a quick learner. He finished the book I lent him on Desmond Tutu so we discussed some of the events around South African apartheid. His next read is a fiction about seals in Alaska.

The evening was an introduction to the phenomenon of roasting and eating marshmallows. I don’t remember my first experience with marshmallows but tried to put myself in the position of eating them for the first time. Needless to say we had a lot of laughs and sticky fingers!

The family talked about taking a road trip on Sunday to Arusha’s Snake Park. This has been on my To Do list for several years. The car needs some repairs and we will go if it is fixed early enough.

SUNDAY, JANUARY 31
It rained much of the night. The roofs here are made of corrugated metal sheeting and I love the sound it makes when it rains. The car was not repaired in time to make the Snake Park trip. Plan B was to visit a nearby waterfall but with all the rain it was agreed that it would be a better trip when it was dry. On to Plan C which was to take the little ones to the playground. As we were getting ready someone remembered that it is closed on Sunday. Plan D - everyone stayed home and rested. A leisurely walk under a beautiful blue sky with entrancing cloud formations finished out my afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Love your messages. You are a beautiful, compassionate and powerful woman.

    ReplyDelete