Thursday, July 3, 2014

The Youth & the 3 R’s - Resourceful, Respectful, Ready to Learn

JUNE 23, Monday
Walking to TAFCOM this morning I encountered my usual “mini paparazzi” of children. It fascinates me how resourceful they can be. I see no “toys” as we know them. Instead I observe children playing Pickle and Soccer using a ball made from rolled up plastic bags held together with string and rubber bands. One of the kids on my road was excited to show me his paper airplane. Sometimes planes are made from the corn stalks and sticks the children find. Plastic water bottles are made into cars with the tops used for wheels. The most common toy is a bucket lid and stick which the kids are extremely adept at rolling down the roads.

Jonas had been notified over the weekend that two new volunteers would be coming today. Apparently their placement had not worked out. Our 2 German volunteers will be leaving in 2 weeks so this is good timing for a transition. Caitlin is from New Zealand and Maya is from Israel. Nie requested that I handle orientation of new volunteers so that was how I spent my morning. It was also Nele’s last day with us. She is also from Germany and had been traveling the last 2 weeks. She relayed a story of how she was detained in Kenya because of the political unrest and had to stay at the police station in Nairobi until there was a full bus available to travel to Tanzania that could accommodate several police for the passengers’ protection. Fortunately she arrived back in Tanzania with one day to spare before her flight home to Germany.

I have thoroughly enjoyed running here. I usually finish my day at TAFCOM by 1:00 then take about a 45 minute run before heading home to lunch. Today when I got home Neema surprised me with an apple. I typically eat an apple every day in the US but they are very expensive here ranging from 50 to 60 cents for one. This was my first apple and I was almost as excited as when I get dark chocolate. I decided to save it for breakfast.

JUNE 24, Tuesday
Apple with Peanut Butter for breakfast! I shared with Neema as she had never tried PB on an apple before. Whenever I introduce her to some new culinary delight she calls it “Designer Food”.

I sat in on several of the Upper Level classes this morning. I took notes and have some good ideas for Thursday. Much of the teaching is lecture style and Jonas is encouraging the teachers to be more interactive with the children plus add group activities. I am amazed at their attention span and respectful behavior. I can’t imagine trying to control a class of 40+ children. The government's goal for teacher/student ratio is 1 teacher for every 45 students.

The three broken sewing machines require some new parts. Three new machines will be purchased on Thursday. I have been talking to Nie and Jonas about the feasibility of moving the tailoring women into the original classroom as it is larger. The concern relates to security since the room only has an opening for a door and is surrounded by windows facing the front of the building. Apparently 2 sewing machines have been stolen from the current training room which is more secluded. Curtains would make a difference so Nie an Jonas will give this plan consideration.

Soweto is an area of Moshi where I lived in 2012. The largest market for second hand clothing is located there. Unless one has their clothes made by a tailor there are very few clothing shops in Moshi. It is always fun to go there and there is nothing you cannot find. Neema had asked to go so we planned an afternoon lunch of Zanzibar pizza at Taj Mahal, followed by a walk to Soweto where we met up with Jenn (volunteer) and Debra (Ibrah of Afrishare’s wife). We spent more than two hours walking the rutted dirt paths in and out of home-made wood platforms covered in canvas bags and loaded with all kinds of clothing for every age.

I was aware that many girls miss school on a monthly basis because of lack of funds for sanitary pads. I had researched the issue and found several patterns for home-made re-usable items. Potential material was on my buy list.

UNESCO estimates that one in 10 African adolescent girls miss school during menses and eventually drop out because of menstruation-related issues, such as the inaccessibility of affordable sanitary protection, the social taboos related to menstruation, and the culture of silence that surrounds it. (AllAfrica, 2011) The lack of toilets as well as the disposal of products are additional issues that remain unaddressed and increase environmental concerns.

The topic of menstruation is seldom discussed in the home and definitely not an area of focus within the educational system. Sanitary pads are unaffordable for those living in poverty. Not only are there homes without water and sanitary toilet facilities, but many schools also lack basic sanitation facilities and disposal systems. The research indicates that poor sanitation is a leading reason for girls missing school. (Forum of African Women Educationists, FAWE 2006) These conditions also affect female teachers who may also miss school in a country that already has a teacher shortage. Adult women miss work causing loss of income. The cycle of poverty continues….

The repercussions of all these conditions are far-reaching. I remember a culture of silence around menstruation when I was a young girl. It still can cause embarrassing situations for girls and women. Anxiety and discomfort coupled with the lack of money, poor sanitation, and hygiene issues all contribute to female students’ low concentration in school, absences, and drop-out rates. From my reading and observing, a girl’s education is the most important investment for women. It leads to greater income potential and healthier lifestyles, 

On a side note, it saddens me that we do not place more emphasis on celebrating the onset of menses as a time of empowerment. As women, the ability to replicate life is one of the marvels of our existence.

As we wandered through the second hand market I shared my desire to find absorbent material for the tailoring women to sew some cloth sanitary pads. We found some great, cheap blankets. I bought a small child’s blanket for a tester. The plan is to use one of the on-line patterns to design the pads and then have them tested by some of the girls before buying more material. I also want to do a fact sheet or booklet and TAFCOM will then organize a distribution strategy. I am really excited about this but sad that I probably won’t be here for the final steps.

We all walked away from the market pleased with our purchases. We also ran into Sigrid and Marcel. Neema and I did not arrive home until 7pm. I have always been told it is not safe for muzungus to be out after dark. I feel very secure in Pasua because so many see me regularly. I worry far more about falling or tripping. Unless they have an uncanny sense of balance, I have no idea how people walk these roads after dark. It also happened that the electric was out so none of the shop lights were on, adding to the uncertainty of my steps. I just hung on to Neema and she guided me home. I have a head lamp and we have a solar light so we could see for dinner. I spent the rest of the evening reading with my head lamp and went to bed at 9:30pm. The electricity came back shortly after I settled in.

JUNE 25, Wednesday
Instead of going to TAFCOM, I was scheduled to meet with Tanzania Volunteers. One of the owners, Louis, has a sister in Columbus (mentioned in a previous blog. I brought items for their father.). Unfortunately, Louis was not available so I have yet to meet him. However, I spent a very enjoyable morning with his wife, Hanna, who is from Finland. Tanzania Volunteers operates a volunteer house and placement service for volunteers. It is a very nice facility and appeared to be well-organized and efficiently run. It is located in one of the best sections of Moshi. It is humorous to me that this upscale neighborhood is called Shantytown. Our visit resulted in a potential partnership for TAFCOM. Hanna will come to the center a week from Friday to meet Nie and Jonas.

Hanna explained that Tanzania Volunteers works with about 50 organizations for volunteer placements. Several were of particular interest to me. One involves a nursery that grows trees. One of their programs involves selling trees to schools at a reduced rate and includes environmental education for the children. I am going to explore this further and hopefully get some trees for the Minnesota Academy.

Another placement is within the Juvenile Court system. I was unaware of how the system worked so Hanna spent time explaining it to me. A child can be put in juvenile detention if accused of breaking the law or a parent can bring a child if they feel their behavior is unruly. The concept of “innocent until proven guilty” does not exist. The children normally wait three months before going before a judge and some have lingered for several years. Volunteers teach the children and Moshi’s detention center is considered one of the best in the country. In many facilities volunteers are not allowed. Hanna described the youth as eager to learn and relayed a story from one of the volunteers who had asked the kids if they wanted to play sports and they replied that they would prefer to learn English. The grounds of the facility are open and it would be easy to escape but this is rare. For many of these youth, food and shelter are a welcome change.

I decided to walk back to Moshi. I used to run in Shantytown as it is near Soweto where I stayed in 2012. The walk took about an hour; it was a beautiful day and I enjoyed rediscovering some of the sites I had forgotten. Also, I find myself not feeling hurried to get so much done. The pace of life is slower here and, most of the time, I have been able to adopt the same relaxed mindset; today being one of those days.

JUNE 26, Thursday
While working at DCA (my day care job) in Delaware, OH I learned the phrase “Kiss Your Brain”. It includes the motions of kissing your fingers and then touching your head. It is one of my favorite phrases and I taught it to the Upper Level class today. The English lesson for this week is about likes and dislikes. When I observed this class on Tuesday, I noted that the teacher was not using examples that would elicit a strong reaction to differentiate the two definitions. Using “snakes” and “spiders” produced the responses I wanted. The children were then geared up to supply their own examples. I also taught a rhyme for keeping their hands in their laps. I have no idea where this came from but the teachers tell the kids to “sit like a manager” when they want them to be still.

I began the reorganizing of the teacher resource book case. Sometimes you have to make a mess as the first step and that is exactly what I did. Piles of books were stacked on the table, chairs and floor. I had to leave my chaotic arrangement so we could go to Moshi to purchase the sewing machines. The store had two assembled and one machine in a box. During our wait, Nie and I walked over to the tailor who is teaching the Finish and Design class. The girls impressed us with their work and the instructor also praised them commenting that all 3 were exceptional students.

I was not aware that a seat belt law existed in Tanzania and was even more surprised that it was enforced. Iddi, our taxi driver was called to drive Nie and me home since it was taking a very long time to assemble the sewing machine. As we were driving through town a policewoman, on foot, waved the car to the side. The exchange between Iddi and the policewoman was loud at times and I repeatedly heard Iddi saying the Kiswahili word for “Listen”. Even Nie raised her voice on several occasions. I kept quiet as a mouse, clueless as to what was going on. At one point, the policewoman got in the car and Iddi started driving around the block. She finally exited the car but not without taking Iddi’s driver’s license and car registration. It was only then that I learned that Iddi was being ticketed for not wearing his seat belt. I was flabbergasted as no one wears a seat belt. The police woman wanted Iddi to go directly to the police station and pay the $30 fine. This procedure, I was told, could take hours. The argument was all about taking us home first which she finally agreed to.


I felt so bad for Iddi. He is Nie and Jonas’ regular driver whenever they need a taxi. I have known him for several years. During the ride home Iddi did not act too upset. He and Nie continued their conversation which always includes laughter. We stopped for gas. This experience was a wonderful step back in time because someone else pumps the gas and they wash your windows. Since it is Thursday this will pass as my TBT story.

No comments:

Post a Comment