Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Week 13 - Like a chicken with its head cut off!

May 14 – May 20

When poultry is decapitated, they begin to twitch and may sometimes begin to run around, that is how this idiom which means "in a frenzy" originated.   http://youtu.be/stfhRyjvv1I

In Case the Video Doesn't Work
This idiom is beginning to describe how we are feeling at TAFCOM. This was a very busy week making sure everything was in place for the Micro Loan workshop scheduled for Saturday. We have 8 Micro-Loan participants (plus one who is unable to attend) and a wonderful instructor who will somehow shrink a 5 day course into one day. Fortunately a number of the attendees are expanding their businesses and received start-up loans and training in 2010. We have also provided 3 business start-up grants to families whose situations are too dire to warrant a loan.

I love seeing the similarities in program development and management between Tanzania and the states. We are using a pre and post-test. Each person will sign a contract with their loan agreement spelled out. They will all receive a booklet on Business Management principles plus an accounting book to track revenue and expenses. The content of the training will cover marketing, attracting and retaining customers, budgeting and everything you would expect for someone starting a business.

Add caption
But that is where the similarities end. The differences lie in the fact that their income will most likely not exceed more than $5.00-$10.00 per day. For those who sell food, they must go to the market very early each day to make their purchases. Items are put in baskets and typically carried on their heads from the daladala (bus) to their home. If they cook, it will be outside over a small charcoal grill. There will be far more flies than customers. The vendors either stand or sit on a stool for most of the day. There is no such thing as a 40 hour work week or breaks or unions or health permits. Their stand is typically in front of their home and made of wood, usually with a tin or cardboard roof held in place with bricks or stones.
Food Stand

Working from home or close to home is very appealing for many of us but we don’t live in small mud or cement rooms with no ceilings and one window. And, for many, there is no water or electricity. For those who need water, there is a communal tap. Buckets of water are filled (for a price) and carried home. Some taps are a good 5 minute walk. When I was taking my bucket showers I only had to carry a half-filled bucket no more than 20 feet and it was plenty heavy.

An afternoon hour has been set aside each week for loan repayment. Nie scheduled this at the home of one of the women who is more centrally located. Nie will be there every week for the next 6 months to collect the funds and answer any questions. There is no mail system. One can purchase a PO Box for about $6.00 per year but most have no need and they are used primarily for businesses. One day when I came home I noticed this paper on the ground inside our gate. I took it to Ibrah as it looked important and he said it was their water bill. It had been stuck in a slit in the gate and must have fallen through. Fortunately it fell inside rather than outside our gate or it could have easily blown away.

I am sure there are many other differences I am missing but hopefully this paints a picture of how a large number of the people earn a living.

Tailoring Teacher & Nie in Crochet Hats
During my previous trips I spent very little time with the Tailoring Center. Now that they are housed with the Children’s Center I have more opportunities to be involved. Nie and I have brainstormed ideas for them to expand their training to produce additional items and I have also looked at websites. In addition, I have this awesome friend at home and her mom (thanks Robin and Betty) who taught me how to crochet and make rag rugs out of scrap material. I don’t know who gets more excited about the new products, me or the women. Every time Nie and I present an idea to the teacher she has the item made before we know it. Their enthusiasm is so awesome and motivating. They are now making placemats, cell phone holders, eye glass holders and will soon try fanny packs and cloth bread baskets. Maisha Designs will market them online in the US and I am definitely shipping a box home to sell. The fact that they are making items unique for a tailoring center will make these women much more marketable, skilled and diverse which can mean a better income and a better life.

Nie, Mary and I also managed one day of home visits this week. I was so annoyed at myself because I forgot my camera. I love sharing pictures; they can sometimes tell so much more than my words. (The pics are from another visit.) BUT I did get to try local brew. We visited 3 people, all of whom will be part of the Micro-Loan program.

Two things that cause me great concern when working with families is the poor nutrition and the unpaid school fees. I asked Nie about how expanding their businesses through the micro-loans would benefit the families. She shared that making sure their family has food is always the priority. I then asked if they had food would they then choose to add nutritious food to their diet or pay school fees. Nie was sure that education would be more important than nutrition. My hope is that at least the 9 people in the Micro-Loan program will be able to do both.

Dominic & Daughter
Dominic lives with her daughter and granddaughter in a very small and cramped room with one double bed, a coffee table and 2 very small couches (for 2 people). The door could only open half way because of the furniture and there was nowhere to walk. Dominic sells second hand clothing and I am bringing her shoes on Saturday that I have collected. TAFCOM has a number of families that sell clothing so I have made a flier and hung it at places in Moshi most frequented by volunteers.

Dominic’s granddaughter had been sent home from pre-school the day we visited. There was no notice as to why but it is most likely because her school fees are not paid. I seriously doubt that many of TAFCOM’s clients who have children are current on school fees. It was obvious that she was a bright girl. She is only 4 and counted to 20 in perfect English. She also was enjoying Mary so much that she hid her purse so Mary could not leave! 

Beatrice and her Food Business
Our next visit took us to a family of 10. Beatrice has five children. Four of her daughters are single parents. The entire family lives in 3 rooms. Her youngest child was very determined to return to school after having her baby. Her mother believes strongly in education and this child’s potential. The daughter finished advanced level secondary school and then passed the national test. She is currently in college studying accounting. Beatrice has sacrificed so much in order for her daughter to return to school and attend college. This is another example of the importance placed on education and the desire of parents to pave the way for a better life for their children.

Daudi is the only single father I have ever visited. This is definitely not common. His wife passed away in 2006 from AIDS. He is raising 7 children, 6 girls and one boy ranging in age from 13-23. They live in 2 rooms. To support his family, Daudi makes and sells his own local brew. Local brew can mean banana beer or other locally made alcoholic concoctions. What I tried was made from fermented coffee and ginger.  It was actually quite good and tasted much better than it sounds or looks. When the bottle was opened a cloud of gas(?) rose out of the top. It was also before 11 am in the morning! Mary and I each had a small sip. Daudi is a former boxer and used to teach the young boys in the community. He recently had eye surgery and is still recovering. It wasn’t clear why he had surgery. Partly it is translation but also I get the impression that there is not much in the way of doctor/patient communication. Daudi is also working very hard to provide an education for his children. He has 2 daughters studying Hotel Management and another who is training as a Tour Opeartor.

Mary - Social Work Intern
Later as Mary and I were walking home I was telling her about my experience with Konyagi and she said that she had seen people drinking something with salt and lemon and wondered if I knew what it was. Major flashback to college days at The Library!!! A group of us who worked at a campus cafeteria would quite often frequent this wonderful establishment prior to going to work for the dinner shift. This was obviously not a quiet place for reading and studying but it was great for telling parents that one was spending a lot of time at the library. It was a great little bar on OSU’s north campus. I just googled it and it is still there.

The weather this week has been overcast and drizzly with cooler temperatures. It is amusing that you hear people talk about being cold when it is in the 70’s. They are wearing more clothing and coats. I saw a man one day wearing a heavy parka and hood. However, I really can’t laugh as I am one who easily gets cold and must confess I have been wearing long sleeves and sleeping with a blanket. I feel more Tanzanian every day!

One final project before the week ended was to complete a “concept paper” to be considered for a grant from the Elton John AIDS Foundation. If they like our project we will be notified in 6 weeks and can then submit the grant application.  It was due Friday and, of course, we submitted it Friday. The grant would be the equivalent of $16,000 USD for one year. I was totally blown away by how much we were able to budget with what I would consider is a small grant amount. Summarily, the project would involve conducting 4 workshops in 3 communities, plus salaries for a Project Coordinator, Social Worker and Accountant. Added to that, Home-Based Care would be provided and a Micro-Loan program would be offered. That is a tremendous amount of bang for the buck. Please send all the positive thoughts and prayers that we get approved to move to the next step of submitting a grant application.

The needs just never stop. Nie showed me a list with 8 names given to her by the government leader in Pasua - all new people who want TAFCOM's help. I know I can never feel the desperation of these people but I do feel desperate for them.

The week also had its paradox. There is a young man that stops by the office daily with a variety of newspapers for sale. Nie usually gets a paper and one of the issues this week had the US story about the woman who put on a wedding for her two dogs to the tune of over $30,000. REALLY???? I just described what TAFCOM can do with $16,000. Can you imagine what we could do with $30,000? This makes my blood boil.

There are dogs and cats here but they are not treated like pets are in the US. Most of the dogs are used for guard dogs. It was difficult for Nie to understand how and why we dote on our animals the way we do. I totally agree that we are an overindulgent society and go to ridiculous extremes over our pets (and many other things). For those that each day is about survival it makes no sense and I cringe to think of the message it sends about western society.


Group Picture with Instructor and Staff
Micro-Loan Workshop
Getting back to my reality…
Saturday was the TAFCOM Micro-Loan workshop and we had 8 participants. The day went very well and everyone seemed pleased with the instruction and guidance they received. When a day long workshop is held it is similar to the states in that food and drink is provided. One major difference is that each attendee receives a stipend for attendance. This is a cultural expectation; the rationale being that they are losing a day’s wages to participate and the stipend is compensation.


De-Feathering & Cleaning
Food Preparation

 Another major contrast centers around food preparation. The teaching staff prepared the food. It was all cooked outside over a wood fire. The chickens had to be defeathered and their heads and feet removed. I was fascinated to watch this process. They will cook again for the malaria group event in June and I really want to help and get “hands-on” experience. 

Lunch - Pilau Masala, Rice,
Chicken in Tomato/Cocunut Sauce,
 Cabbage  & Carrots
Cooking Rice
Note charcoal on top to provide heat
 for top, wood on bottom. Heats like an 
oven and you can cook bread like this!














During my time here I have discovered that I get the most joy out of working on projects that empower and present opportunities for growth. This not only applies to the people we help but to myself as well.
The Micro-Loan day culminated with a group picture and I felt like a proud parent feeling confident that we had put our best efforts into this project and truly made an impact. Similarly, the Tailoring women are expanding in new areas and have the eagerness to continue growing. For me, I have discovered a depth of fulfillment in giving that I have not experienced before. It keeps me centered and gives me confidence that much more can be accomplished. 

2 comments:

  1. Your stories are inspiring. WHat a wonderful thing you are doing!
    Kim K

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Marian -all I can say is WOW! Life in Tanzania seems like another world but it isn't really. We are all God's people, love and laugh, work and rest to support life... You are certainly blossoming in your new role. Thank you for following God's call to help where you are needed. Take care dear friend, Kim Z.

    ReplyDelete