Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Week 3 - Donations, DIRT and a new leg for John

WEEK 3 - March 5-March 11
Monday – Last week at TAFCOM we were talking about some of the immediate needs to be addressed with the funds that I received as donations. With some of the heavy rains, the ground in front of the Children Center where the children play has flooded as well as the ground around their bathrooms. Jonas was asking if we could purchase 2 truckloads of dirt and the tools needed to spread the dirt and build up the area.  Nie also said that the Center is running out of porridge for the children. So it was decided we could start with both projects. I went to the bank and made our first withdrawal!! THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH!! Jonas arranged for the dirt to be delivered. We went across the street to the farm store and bought a wheel barrow, shovel and rake. I gave Nie the money for the porridge with some extra to buy milk, eggs, cinnamon and honey to add some nutrition. The porridge is made with maize flour, finger millet, water and sometimes sugar. It is very bland tasting.

We then went to the Children’s Center deciding that I would see when David could come to the Center and we would undertake the dirt moving project. The ride to Pasua was quite a challenge as the rain had gutted and flooded out parts of the roads. Maneuvering thru was an amazing task. I was very glad to be in the passenger seat and totally impressed that we got thru some of the areas.  While at the Children’s Center I read an alphabet book to the kids. It was a book I gave the Center as a gift from Neal and Lee Ann. I shared with Nie that I had made the book for my children when they were little. She loved that it had been a part of their childhood.

For dinner Deborah and I made homemade pizza from scratch and it turned out great – veggies and pineapple.

Tuesday  - To TAFCOM this morning. Nie needed an evaluation for a volunteer so I created one for her. We then went over the Letter of Interest used for grant applications. At home this afternoon. Everyone in the house is typing the exams for St Timothy School. Electricity was out a good part of the afternoon and evening  so dinner was by candle light and book light. We also played Phase 10 by candle light. Went to bed around 11 and the electricity came back on.

Day 1 While we were still Fresh!
Wednesday – Moving Dirt Day. David and I went to TAFCOM and Nie and Jonas drove us to the Children’s Center. The temperature is typically between 85-90 degrees during the day and today was no exception. The day started out with cloud cover which we appreciated because there was no shade where we were working. The sky cleared late morning and after lunch it was really hot. We got a lot of ground covered and raked. The dirt piles had been rained on so they were somewhat heavy but starting to dry out by mid-afternoon. They also contained a lot of rocks; some large enough that we made a border. We did not have a hoe until afternoon so chopped the dirt with shovels. The hoe was old and repeatedly came apart. I enjoy physical work and despite a few blisters, sore muscles and looking tan from the dirt it was a very good day. We will do the same tomorrow but decided that afterwards we will treat ourselves to a swim at the YMCA.

I had talked with Ibrah about rearranging my room so my computer could be near the outlet (There is only one). David and I were going to move furniture when we got home because Ibrah has some back problems. However, when we got home Deborah had everything moved plus organized David’s room and washed my running shoes. I love my room. The computer is now in front of the window (near the plug) and my bed does not get as much light as before. AND best of all, my running shoes look better than new!!

There was no water for showers so as disgusting as we were we went to the market with Deborah to buy glasses. For some reason we have all broken a glass and it has become a great source of humor. Back home –still no water so it was a bucket shower which was incredibly refreshing. I am beginning to prefer them to the regular shower!!


Thursday – Back to the Children’s Center. TAFCOM is raising funds thru Global Giving to expand the Children’s Center. They have raised about half the needed funds so today we had the workers beginning construction. It was 92 today! They started by digging a trench around the perimeter for the footer. They used a hoe, pick and shovel. Most of the labor here is done by hand. There is very little machinery. They finished the footer and moved very large rocks into the footers for drainage. Gravel and bricks were also delivered. These men will continue their work thru the weekend, except Sunday. I will not be returning to the center until mid-week so will be anticipating their progress. We continued our work with the help of Bisaru, a young woman who also helps out at the Center. When the kids come out for recess our work stops because they swarm us, wanting to touch our skin and hair and play. They discovered that David had hair on his legs and became totally fascinated petting his legs for the longest time.
American Gothic comes to Tanzania

We were able to finish spreading the dirt in front of the center and around the bathroom by mid-afternoon. YEAH – Mission accomplished!! 

Our work seemed easy compared to watching what these men were doing plus we were headed to the YMCA to swim. It makes you feel a bit guilty because these men will work late, go home, eat, go to bed and start again in the morning. While waiting for Jonas to pick us up a few neighbor kids were kicking around a ball so we played with them. Their ball was made from plastic bags and rubber bands. 

Swimming was sheer heaven. Walking home we found a shortcut thru a cemetery. There was a path but the grounds were very overgrown and most sites just had a wood cross. There was a war memorial cemetery that was in total contrast as these graves were organized in neat rows and the headstones all matched. It was also landscaped quite nicely.

Friday – It was 92 again today. I am feeling pretty sore and glad that this will be a low-key day physically. I went with Nie and Jonas to Boma to pick up John to get his new leg. John is the Maasai boy who lost his leg to infection. He is 12 years old and has a smile that could melt your heart. We took him to Arusha to a Rehab Center. His leg is amputated a few inches below the knee. First the doctor put a sock like sleeve over his knee. A rubber piece goes over the sleeve and the end of the sleeve is pulled out of the bottom. The new leg then fits over the first rubber piece. I can only imagine how much more advanced our prosthetic technology is.
John - 12 years old

John with Doctor

New Leg
The cost of the leg was approximately $350 USD which was paid for by the American couple who has agreed to care for John’s needs related to his leg. They had also given shoe money to the local woman in Boma who was supposed to be helping the community. Nie said that now her phone has been turned off so they have no contact at all. Because John is 12 and growing, when his leg is replaced each year he needs a bigger shoe size since they match the prosthetic foot size to his normal foot. (I guess that is pretty obvious – lol!) I told Nie that I would use some of our donated funds to get him shoes and socks. It is maddening that this woman has taken advantage of the generosity of this American couple and even worse that she is depriving these very poor people. John’s English is about as good as my Swahili but I did find out that he likes school; English is his favorite subject; and he is fascinated by motorcycles.

Saturday – My internet voucher ran out this morning and the store was closed each time I checked. The small stores are typically owned and operated by the same person or a friend or family member and are open whenever someone is available. So it is totally hit or miss. Deborah told me around 9:15pm that the store was open and she could send the guard but I said I would wait until Sunday.

I decided to run this morning as the heat of the day seems to be around 2:00pm and does not let up until the sun goes down. It felt great at about 75 degrees. We went to the market with Deborah today and found shoes and socks for John. We also bought fruit so Deborah and I could make fresh juice. We used passion fruit, papaya, orange, banana, carrots and avocado. It was scrumptious.

Ibrah recently had a cement block built to hold a water tank. This way we will have water all day and the pressure should also be better. The tank arrived this afternoon along with the workers and plumbers. The electric went out around dinner but they continued to work and I still heard them after 11pm. My shower was a trickle tonight and I did not have enough water for a bucket shower. This will be pure luxury when it is finished.
                                  
Sign at YMCA Pool
Sunday – This was a great R&R day. I ran while watching a local soccer (football) game, and later went swimming again. We treated ourselves by buying ice cream. Deborah made fried bananas and we topped them with Neapolitan ice cream and Hershey's chocolate syrup. We ended our day by watching a Laurel and Hardy DVD. It doesn't get any better than this!!

10 comments:

  1. Oh - I love the YMCA pool sign!! Nothing other than a little political correctness lost in the translation there! We could use some of those signs in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The public information officer in me loves the sign!
    Jennifer :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. maureen mom & dad would be proud love ed

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't imagine all of that work without the help of dump trucks, concrete trucks and back hoes. The icecream sundae was well deserved. Mary S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing stuff Marian, love the updates! :)
    Alex Bisker

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your journey is fascinating. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm really enjoying your blogs, Marian! I have the site bookmarked to open each morning to see if anything is new. Keep up the good work! Steph

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so proud of you! You are a great inspiration to us all. We don't realize how well-off we are here in the states. Blessings, Phoebe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Rafiki langu Marion!
    It was so good to hear from you! We are following your journey via your blog, and I shared your letter with our class. Thank you so much for sharing! I cant wait till Doug and I make our journey to Africa! You inspire us!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow - again I can't beleive how wonderful it all sounds and looks. You are doing great things! I wish I could be there with you sharing, learning and seeing it all. Keep up the great work. I always knew you would do it! I love and miss you, Cara

    ReplyDelete