Sunday, February 18, 2018

Jan 31-Feb 6 Baby Steps

Wednesday, Jan 31
Last night during dinner, Jovis (one of Jonas’ sons) stopped by and asked if I was running in the Kilimanjaro Marathon. He remembered that I had run the half in 2012. Regrettably, I told him I was not in shape nor prepared to do a half. He said he would be running and I could do the 5k Fun Run. Now this I can do! Elly seemed interested and we agreed to go on a walk/run each morning before breakfast.
The road I have run on in the past is bumpy and rutted, plus busy with motorcycles, daladalas and trucks whipping by, throwing clouds of dust. There is, however, a side dirt road that belongs to a company that grows sugar cane. There is a barricade and guards at the road entrance. I successfully used my Swahili (with a little help from Elly) to explain that I always exchanged greetings with the guards when I ran 2 years ago. It turns out the same guards still work there and it was fine for us to run on their road. And what a difference! There is only one pot-holed short stretch where we have to walk. There is also the occasional irrigation sprinkler that gives us a brief respite from the heat with its shower. The guard told us that it is 4K to the end and back. I love it. It is quiet and Kili is often out in the morning in all her majesty.
I squeezed in a 20-minute English lesson for the tailoring students. I am also revising and adding to my Swahilli guide. It has been interesting how some Swahili words just pop into my head when I need them. Not always, but it has happened enough times that it encourages me to keep studying a little each day.
Elly And I took an afternoon walk. We stopped by Bisura’s house but she was not home so we left a message with her neighbor. Bisura worked with TAFCOM for years and is currently in secretary school. As I was getting ready for dinner, Bisura knocked on my door. She is doing well in school and enjoys learning typing, accounting, internet, email, etc. She looked great and I am sure we will spend more time together.

Thursday, February 1
In 2014 I wrote an Orientation Manual for Volunteers. I will be updating some of the statistics and making welcome changes. I know statistics bore some people but when they show improvement and progress, I am filled with hope.
A total of 1.4 million Tanzanians (of 53 million) are estimated to be living with HIV/AIDS and 54,000 new infections and 36,000 AIDS-related deaths occur in Tanzania annually. Although these numbers seem mind-numbing, the number of new infections and deaths continues to drop.
Maternal and Child health numbers are also improving. The mother-to-child HIV transmission rate has dropped to 3.6% at 6 weeks-after birth, and 6% at the end of breastfeeding. Infant mortality decreased from 68 to 43 per 1,000 live births between 2005 and 2015.
Medical technology is so advanced in the western world. It is shameful that more is not done to improve the lives of these people, many who die senselessly from preventable illnesses.
Improving the education is a priority of the new President (2015) and the Ministry of Education. More schools, especially secondary (high school) are being built. The Primary school student-to-teacher ratio was 43:1 in 2013.
The President has stated that no child is to stay home from school due to lack of funds or space in a classroom. In the past, students were sent home if they could not pay the “shared costs” charged by the schools. These costs might include the costs of desks and building maintenance. Currently there is a fee for lunches. If not paid, the student stays in school but goes without food.
Families are responsible for textbooks, exercise books, pencils, backpacks, uniforms. Many families cannot afford textbooks. I have observed classrooms where there are not enough textbooks to share with all the students.
Corporal punishment is against the law but not enforced until recently. There are certain acts where only the Head Teacher is allowed to use corporal punishment. It must be documented and officially recorded. The laws are also specific to what objects can be used to punish a student.
I visited the 2 preschool classrooms. I observed in the older class but when I went to see the younger kids I totally disrupted the class. The kids swarmed and each had to have a hug! After feeling all the love, I promptly left so the teacher could resume her teaching.

Friday, February 2
I rode the school bus out to Minnesota Academy. I divided my day between observing in P-4 and cataloging the contents of the cabinet in the Head Teacher’s office. I had decided to walk back to TAFCOM as I had been told it was 5K one way. I began to question the accuracy of this distance on the bus ride which took a lot longer than I would have expected for a 3-mile trip. I brought 2 liters of water and my running shoes so I laced up and headed back to TAFCOM in the middle of the afternoon with temperatures well into the 80’s. The dust adhered to my sunscreen for extra protection!  It took over an hour to get home; a cold shower was divine!

Saturday, February 3
Elly and I headed to Moshi for the day as we both had many errands. Our first stop was the Moshi Library. I wanted to see how their library was organized, how they check out books and if they had a children’s section. I met Kweka at the front desk and he was most helpful. He showed me the library cards, how books are checked out and how they track due dates. I was reminded of when I first worked at Fairbanks Elementary school library and they still used a card catalog. The Moshi Library’s system is very similar. I got a tour of the children’s room and an explanation of how the books are arranged. We also talked about furniture and the best shelving. There are only 3 small bookcases in the library area at Minnesota Academy.
I inquired about used furniture and Kweka explained that if someone is getting rid of a piece of furniture it is because it is no longer useful or not able to be repaired. My western mind had clicked in and I forgot that unlike folks in the US and elsewhere who discard items when they want something new, people here do not have that luxury.
I felt both elated and overwhelmed. I was thrilled that a simple system could be implemented at the primary school but overwhelmed at the daunting tasks that lie ahead. I want so much to have this done before I leave.
I had made arrangements to meet up with Mussa (my Kili Guide) at his new shop. When I called to let him know our arrival time he explained that he had to go to Arusha but his wife and children would be there. We had a nice visit and I got to meet his new daughter plus see his new and expanded stores.
I lived in this area the first few times I came to Tanzania. I loved going to the local fitness center and had become friends with two of the instructors. Since it was around the corner, we stopped in. I was sad to learn that both had returned to Kenya (their original home).
Across from the Fitness Center is an entrance to Memorial 2nd Hand Market. We found some running pants for Elly before heading back into Moshi.
We were too close not to stop at the best bakery in Moshi. It has been redecorated in red and black and looks awesome. I bought some cookies to share with the family.
I love mustard on everything I can’t put peanut butter on! No one here uses it but I found it at the supermarket and am wearing a big smile!!! Out last stop was at the open market for fresh fruits and veggies.
Our day was not complete without riding the daladala. Being the first ones on in the morning, we got the front seat which never has more than the driver and 2 passengers; unlike the rest of the bus which crams people in like sardines. The ride home we were squished in the back seat and the window was stuck shut. We had been walking around Moshi for 6 hours. Taking another cold shower and putting my feet up never felt so good.

Sunday, Feb 4
I enjoy the slowness of Sundays and typically try to catch up on things and play with Joan and Happy when they are around. Coloring is their favorite pastime. I have introduced Joan to Bob the Train, which is one of my favorite YouTube learning videos for kids. (Johanna, I hope your mom and dad read this to you!)

Monday, Feb 5
I woke up with zero motivation. I took 2 naps and was in bed by 8:30pm. I think it was heat exhaustion from all the walking and the heat on Friday and Saturday. OOPS! I think if I would look at my passport, I would see that I am not 20 anymore!
Before my first nap, Jonas, Nie and I talked about priorities, goals and visions for TAFCOM.  I love the progressive thinking of these two. Things move very slowly here and I admire their persistence and patience. Nie and I set Feb 14 as the date for our Micro Loan Workshop. We will be helping 10 new people start up a business. Between my first and 2nd nap I spent some time researching potential grants.

Tuesday, Feb 6
I felt much better today and my motivation and energy have returned. I can go back to pretending I am 20 again!


1 comment:

  1. What incredible work you are doing!! I love these stories. And it seems like all of these empowerments, however small, are the perfect way to help! You are doing so much..... :D

    ReplyDelete